Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 7- Studs to Spa in 3 weeks



So we are just finishing week one of three in our studs to spa marathon. It's moving along at a good pace I think.

Day 5 - our plummer (my hairdresser's wonderful husband) came to move the shower head to the other side of the shower and move the drain a few inches because our shower is getting about a foot wider (yay!)

Day 6 - my husband, who is turning himself into quite the Jack-of-all-trades, re-wired and moved the 4 light switches so that our shower could be a foot wider, ripped out the rest of the plywood floor and replaced the damaged sub-floor boards, finished tearing down the old full wall in the shower and designed the pony wall that will replace it. And of course, we had to wait until the first 90+ degree day of the year to do this! I have to give my husband some credit, here, too. When we got married, he was not the "handyman" type, if you know what I mean. I gave him his first power tool one birthday before we had kids. Whereas, I grew up with my parents building the two houses I lived in as a child. When I was a teenager and was lost without a phone for a week in our new house, I learned how to wire the phone jacks and proceeded to set up the phone system in our house (a motivated teenager can actually work hard!) So it's been exciting to see my husband morph into a handyman! And what a great job he's doing.

My job was to keep the kids out of his way and plan where the mirrors
(Restoration Hardware Asbury, see pic) and sconces would go. After too many fraction equations, I finally determined that our original plan for: sconce, mirror, sconce, mirror, sconce required an 84" wall and we only have 72"!! So plan B is to place a 2-arm light above each mirror. These lights will be installed in a place there were no lights before, so DH will also wire those before the sheetrock goes up.....and he's relying on me to tell him, down to the 1/16 of an inch, where each light needs to go. How does one without a degree in math figure this out? I swear I did over 30 fraction problems with different denominators...and even then had to re-do a few that just didn't seem right. In the end I think I decided that the bottom of the mirror will be 8" above the top of the vanity and the bottom of the lights will be 4" above the top of the mirror. Let's hope the plan works! Hopefully the mirrors and lights will both end up centered over the sinks, which are not installed yet. If not, my husband will probably take away my math degree.


Day 7 - today's plan is to install a can light above the shower and build the pony wall. Also, the hardwood floor we discovered in half of the bathroom needs to be torn out. He may or may not get to the sheetrock today. Unfortunately the forcast is 91 degrees! Keep that fan blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I LOVE your comments and appreciate the time you take to write them. I welcome questions and promise to answer them!
(You should be able to comment easily, but you'll need to just fill out the word verification box to make sure you are a real person!)