Saturday, February 26, 2011

Snow and an Island

Hello friends!
Sorry, I’ve been MIA this week….here in CA we have this crazy phenomenon called Ski Week! Unlike the rest of the country that seems to be buried in snow, we’re snow deprived and need to take a week off just to get out and experience winter.  Since they’re telling us to go….
IMG_3559
It snowed for a week straight, so we headed up on the first dry day…and what a gorgeous day it was!
IMG_2944
Pretty good pic from the driver’s seat, huh?
The drive is only about 3 1/2 hours but at the first sight of snow, the kids were super anxious to get out and touch the stuff!  Why not?  We’re not in a hurry.
IMG_2957
Here we are at the side of the road, still in our skirts of course!
IMG_2991
We wasted no time once we arrived…getting right to work on a front yard snow man!
IMG_3005
IMG_3009
It’s a girl!
IMG_3275
We sledded
IMG_3116
Built snow angels
IMG_3186
IMG_3360
Swung from trees
IMG_3387
Did some more sledding
IMG_3478
No trip is complete without a stroll through downtown Truckee…
IMG_2968
IMG_3557
And breakfast from my all-time favorite: Squeeze In. I ate there a couple times a year for probably 8 years.  {That’s pretty good considering it’s 3 1/2 hours from home!}
IMG_3511
I hadn’t been there in 7 years {since all my babies were born} and apparently someone else found it while I was gone!
IMG_3519
It’s a fun {little} place…hence the name. But people wait upwards of 2 hours for a table at this wonderful neighborhood nook.
IMG_3514
Look at the bike hanging from the ceiling! And hard to tell in the pic above, but the walls are very “decorated” too.
IMG_3520
So then we took a quick little walk through the shops.  My favorite store has got to be The Cooking Gallery.   It’s a “hands in pocket” store.
IMG_3522
IMG_3525 IMG_3529
IMG_3531
Since everyone kept their hands in their pockets and nothing broke, despite the game of tag I was horrified to see happening…we popped next door into a NOT hands in pocket store. 
IMG_3533 IMG_3534
IMG_3535
Complete with a wall of stuffed animals and…
IMG_3537
And a wall of toy guns…even though this is still considered CA, we’re super close to the red NV.
IMG_3543
We almost made it out without buying a thing AND without a breakdown until we saw the… Star Wars lunch box. I have to admit, I was tempted…as it brought back a wave of childhood memories…do you remember picking out your lunch box every August?
Then a few more stores for me…
IMG_3552 IMG_3553
IMG_3546
Loved this little sign in the window one of the boutiques I did NOT get to go in.
IMG_3547
I peeked at real estate while I had the kids run “laps” to burn a little pre-drive energy…
IMG_3551
And we’re off!
We probably could have made it the whole way home without stopping {thank you DVD player} but I couldn’t resist a few stops…
IMG_3564
IMG_3566 IMG_3568
Speaking of Restoration Hardware….guess what I finished?
IMG_3723
I can’t take all the credit…the beautiful woodworking skills were that of my uncle.
IMG_3722
I will give you a full tour of the island shortly! You can read about my progress here.
The snow was WONDERFUL…but I am glad to be back home…IMG_3753
The weather man told us to expect snow at 500 feet here at home {that happens every 35 years or so}, so my son and I hiked up Mt. Tam yesterday in search of some…well, the weather man isn’t always right.
Have a beautiful weekend!!
Hugs, Celeste!

2 comments:

  1. i do not feel snow deprived, that's why i live far far away from where snow normally happens! it was WEIRD seeing snow-topped trees on foliage other than fir or pine. snowy oaks? biZarre.
    "hands in the pocket stores"~ funny, i was just explaining to my 10 year old niece how my mother used to say the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some beautiful views!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I LOVE your comments and appreciate the time you take to write them. I welcome questions and promise to answer them!
(You should be able to comment easily, but you'll need to just fill out the word verification box to make sure you are a real person!)