Monday, February 21, 2011

Homemade Garlic Croutons

Hi Friends!
So you must know by now my girls and I hosted a tea party a couple weeks ago and I promised you the recipes from it. I have given you the Smoked Turkey with Arugula Aioli recipe and also my favorite Scone recipe…but folks, this is not a recipe from the tea party, rather a byproduct of the tea party! You know, I used 34 pieces of bread for my tea sammies, and I cut off ALL the crusts.  {You just cannot have crusts on your tea sandwiches, of course.} So there I was with a huge bag of crusts. I couldn’t just add them to the compost bin…so I decided to make homemade croutons with them. 
um, WOW!
We ate them by the handful, like chips; and I’m not sure my family will ever eat store-bought again. {darn!}
Homemade Garlic Crouton Recipe{by the way, this is EASY! and so worth it}

Ingredients:
~34 pieces of bread crusts! (ok, ok, approx. 3 cups of cubed bread pieces)
~1/4 cup olive oil
~10 cloves garlic
~1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (buy this if you’ve never tried it! It’s just so, um, well, smoky.)
~salt/pepper to taste
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425o F {I love to use the convection setting for things like this.}
Chop bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl with lid.
IMG_2838
Chop garlic or put in a mini chopper {food processor}.
IMG_2837

Add olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper and mix again for a few seconds.
IMG_2839
{I’m tellin’ ya, try the smoked paprika, it’s great in your marinades for meats and in pastas, etc. Can’t get it at Trader Joe’s though, sorry. I’ll work on them for it.}
Pour olive oil mixture over bread crumbs. Put lid on bowl and shake it up!
IMG_2841
Spread bread crumbs out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
IMG_2842 
Bake for approx. 9 minutes and then turn with spatula. Bake another 9-ish minutes until golden and crisp.
IMG_2843
Enjoy! Eat them by the handful toss them over your favorite salad or serve them atop hot soup.
IMG_2848
They were enjoyed equally by adults and
IMG_2845
kids alike.

But honestly, more were eaten by the handful than anything else! They lasted on the counter one afternoon…getting nibbled up by each passer-by. 
Both my son and husband walked in asking where the garlic bread was…not only does it taste great, your house smells like an Italian Cucina.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the homemade crouton bandwagon dude. They are SO easy to make and I'm surprised that people actually buy them. Yours look yummy, my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I LOVE your comments and appreciate the time you take to write them. I welcome questions and promise to answer them!
(You should be able to comment easily, but you'll need to just fill out the word verification box to make sure you are a real person!)