Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Be Mine" A Pretty 'n Pink Valentine’s Day Banner {Heart}

After I made my Valentine’s Day Wreath, I loved the pink fabrics so much I wanted to make something else out of them, too.   If you missed the wreath, see the tutorial here.
January 2011 033
Sooooooooooooo, I made this Valentine’s Day Banner:
January 2011 004
{I’m still learning my new camera and had a little trouble with the back light from the slider.}IMG_1514
It’s super easy, packs up really small for storage and I can use it year after year for a little Valentine’s Day décor {I’ve never decorated for Valentine’s Day until this year…and I’m really loving the excuse to use a little pop of pink here and there}

So for the banner I used the left over fabric from the wreath, some felt for the letters and burlap for the background.
First I ironed some stiff craft interfacing to the wrong side of the pink fabrics. If you iron the interfacing on before you cut, you won’t have to cut the interfacing to fit the fabric, it will already be on!  Then I made a triangle template to use for tracing around the pink fabric. If you trace on the wrong side of the fabric you can see your lines better AND the marks won’t show on the finished product.January 2011 043. January 2011 046
January 2011 047

Then I cut the triangles out with pinking shears.


I made one triangle for each letter “BE MINE” and two triangles to glue hearts onto, and three plain triangles for spacers.January 2011 048
Next I made the letters “BE MINE” from felt. {I was going to buy the iron-on printer paper, but it was so expensive, I decided to just make my own letters.} I printed them in a LARGE font from my computer, cut them out and used them to trace around the felt.January 2011 066
If you lay them down upside down, you can trace around them and not have to worry about your marks showing up on the front of the letters.January 2011 067
I hot glued the letters to the pink triangles.
Then I cut out burlap triangles to be a little larger than the pink triangles and hot glued those on, too.
IMG_1500
I hung the banner from a jute string using clothespins {I think clothespins are so cute right now!}
And Viola! a Valentine’s Day Banner to enjoy now and for years to come.
IMG_1514I love how it ties in with my wreath and gives my house just a little punch of pink for HEART day. It makes me smile!
January 2011 026

IMG_1515



















I linked up here:




All Things Heart and HomeKatie's Nesting Spot






giveaways








CreativeShareWednesdays

Stinkin Cute Thursday Button




  •  


The DIY Show Off

11 comments:

  1. So cute! I love your banner. The fabric is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! I loved the fabric too, which is why I wanted to make more out of it while I could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Those are so darling! I don't decorate much for Valentine's Day but if I had something like that I would love to do that!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovin' this banner!! Like the burlap mixed in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are beautiful! I love the wreath it looks so soft. I wouldn't want to take it down! I might end up hanging it it my daughters room! I would love for you to link up to my Sew Crafty Saturday party & be sure to check out the two giveaways I have going on! One is an Adventure Date & the other is a $60 gift card to Cowgirl Heaven!

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/sew-crafty-saturday-adventure-date.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love how the two blend so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mavis E. ButterfieldJanuary 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM

    Wow, we're at Valentine's Day already? That means I better get out the Halloween decorations soon, right. ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much for linking up! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. luv it..
    Don't forget to link this at our weekly link party every Wednesday,

    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/fun-ideas-for-valentine-day-2011be.html

    thank you,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out great. I love all the pretty valentine banners out there!
    --Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I LOVE your comments and appreciate the time you take to write them. I welcome questions and promise to answer them!
(You should be able to comment easily, but you'll need to just fill out the word verification box to make sure you are a real person!)