Tuesday, February 14, 2012

No Waste Cut-Out Sandwiches

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

For my kids’ lunches today I really wanted to make heart cut-out sandwiches.  I’ve never made cut-out sammies before because of the waste factor.  I didn’t want to just toss the extra bread and didn’t know what to do with it. But this morning I got a rocket scientist idea! I used the left overs to make Eggs in a Basket!

Well, ok, it may not be rocket science after all, but I was so thrilled I thought of a way to use the whole piece of bread on the same day, for two meals, and get double bang for my buck. Here’s what I did…

Cut out the bread with a cookie cutter:

IMG_2881

Of course you can use any shape you like depending on the occasion.

Now what you have is cute little pieces of bread for a sandwich:

IMG_2884

But you also have all this left-over:

IMG_2882

So I made the sandwiches first.  I put whipped cream cheese on one side (it spreads easier on fresh bread than regular) and strawberry jam on the other:

IMG_2887

And easy as that I had my Valentine’s Day Sandwiches:

IMG_2888

Next I used the left-overs to make breakfast: “Eggs in a Basket'”!

IMG_2899

Have you ever made these?  So simple! Just put some butter in a pan, lay down your bread with a hole cut in it, crack and egg inside and flip. Voila!

IMG_2902

Cute, huh?!

Then I made a few scrambled eggs for my scrambled lovers with this cool new little gadget (thanks Aunt Jayne):

IMG_2903

And Valentine’s Day Breakfast is served! (Keep in mind you can use any shape cookie cutter and make these any day of the year!)

IMG_2907

Holiday themed breakfast and lunch in under 15 minutes! Smile!

Hugs, Celeste

1 comment:

Thanks for reading! I LOVE your comments and appreciate the time you take to write them. I welcome questions and promise to answer them!
(You should be able to comment easily, but you'll need to just fill out the word verification box to make sure you are a real person!)